Jessica Day George

Sunday, April 1, 2007

Jessica Recommends. . . .

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. It was amazing! I couldn't put it down! I immediately sent my husband to the comic book store near his work to get me the "Hatter M" comic books, which go along with the novel. "Looking Glass Wars" is actually a multi-media experience: the novel, the comics, and the CD of music that goes along with it are all excellent. I also read this year's Printz Award winner, "American Born Chinese" which was fabulous, the Newbery winner "The Higher Power of Lucky" and the Newbery Honor book "Penny From Heaven". I thought that "Higher Power" was charming, but I think that of the two, "Penny From Heaven" will have broader appeal. Older boys may be wary of "Lucky" and it's young girl protagonist, but I can see them getting into the adventures of Penny and her wacky uncles. I'm hoping to get my hands on "Hattie Big Sky", "Rules", and "Surrender" soon, to complete my Printz/Newbery reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only one of those I've read is American Born Chinese, which I agree was fabulous. I totally didn't see the end-twist coming, and it was perfect.

Also, I just finished Edith Pattou's East, which I loved, so I'm excited to see your different take on that story when your next book comes out (that is the next one, right?).

My sister and I were just talking about what a great spring/summer this is for looking forward to books. Yours this month, Holly Black's and Shannon Hale's in May (and Shannon again in Sept), Harry Potter in July, Stephenie Meyer's in August. And I'm sure plenty of others I haven't heard of yet. So many books to buy, I'm going to go (happily) broke!