Jessica Day George

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Blackbringer

Okay, so I haven't blogged in a long time.  And I'm sorry.  It's partly busyness, partly laziness.  Just to be honest.  But I return to you now with several stellar book recommendations.

First off: Faeries of Dreamdark: Blackbringer, by Laini Taylor.  BRILLIANT!!!   I love this book passionately, and cannot wait for the sequel, Silksinger.  It was so cool, it made ice look warm!  And it had a guy who KNITS, which is just the way to my heart, if you want to know the truth.

Secondly: The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick.  Yeah, I'm probably way behind on this.  But I had been wanting to read it, and was further spurred on when it won the Caldecott.  Now, the Caldecott (for those of you who don't obsessively keep track of kid lit awards), is the award normally given to picture books, because it is for illustration.  I had Hugo Cabret all pegged for the Newbery, which is for well written kid lit.  So I read it, and figured out why the Caldecott.  It was like a silent movie: more than half of the book was rendered in beautiful black and white drawings.  It was an AMAZING book, but it definitely owed too much of the story to the drawings to qualify for the Newbery.   Two thumbs way up for that one.

As to questions about the recipes on the site.  They are sitting in the inbox of my webmaster (aka, The Husband), waiting to be added, and I'm very sorry that it hasn't happened yet.  Sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the Blackbringer book!

Anonymous said...

I loved Blackbringer and I'll have to check The Invention of Hugo Cabret out!

Oh...and thanks for letting me know about the recipes. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica! THANK YOU! I went back to my blog and looked for the post from last year when I raved about your book, but I must have given it some unrelated title and I couldn't find it, but I know it's there somewhere! As for Hugo Cabret, super cool book! I never would've thought of it for the Caldecott, so that was a cool surprise. As for the Newbery, I'm still waiting for my copy of Good Masters, Sweet Ladies, to arrive. I guess Amazon had a run on that title and sold out -- imagine that!