Jessica Day George

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Time out for picture books

Read a good picture book lately? Well, you should! I spend a lot of my day reading picture books to my son
(because if I don't I have guilt and imagine that he will be mentally stunted). But also because we both enjoy them. Have you seen some of the latest and greatest picture books? Like Russell the Sheep, who thinks so hard that his hat goes ziggy-zaggy? Or the adventures of Coco, the little chick. The Boy is a big Coco fan. These are photographs of one of those little pipe-cleaner Easter chicks, posed in a variety of situations as she makes her way to Grandma's house. Love it. And of course we are big Mo Willems fans. Edwina, the dinosaur who didn't know she was extinct, the adventures of Trixie and Knuffle Bunny, and the immortal Pigeon. Remember, kids: Don't let the Pigeon drive the bus! Yellowbelly and Plum Go to School is the perfect blend of word and picture to evoke a hilarious story, and so is How to Be a Good Dog. Writing a good picture book must be the most stressful thing ever. How to get your story told through the fewest words, and make it work with the pictures? Gives me a headache just thinking about it. And now I'm getting out the Christmas books too, like Santa Calls, Auntie Claus, A Wish for Wings that Work, Red Ranger Came Calling, The Polar Express, and other favorites. And speaking of Christmas books, if you want something meatier than a picture book, I've got recommends coming out my ears. Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, The Legend of Holly Claus, Miracle and Other Christmas Stories, and the classic A Christmas Carol. Enjoy, people! 'Tis the season to enjoy a good book, with or without pictures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love anything by Mercer Meyer. He is a wonderful artist. The Little Wombat books are cute and Graeme Base (?) is breath taking.

Anonymous said...

Horray I cannot wait to see the updates, that's so nice of him to do that. :D